Sunday, February 7, 2010

Those who say Happy Holidays insult Christians and Christmas

Cons misstate the perspective of those who say, “Happy Holidays” to strangers during the period between mid-November and mid-January, when a number of holidays occur including Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Solstice, Yule, Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Year, Epiphany and, in some years, Ramadan and/or the Feasts of Eid al-Adha and Al-Hijra.

Some of these holidays represent religious or cultural viewpoints, some are secular. But they all occur. And when you meet a stranger, not knowing their viewpoint, saying “Happy Holidays” is simply a gesture of respect to avoid judging others or imposing your choices on them.

But there is no instance in which someone finds the celebration of Christmas by those who observe it to be “offensive” as you incorrectly stated.

My own choice is to say “Happy Holidays” if I do not know the person’s preference, and to offer the appropriate greeting to them if I do. If I know someone celebrates Christmas, as I do, I will greet them with, “Merry Christmas.”

Thanks to 3D

No comments: